ADAM BRAZ WILL PLAY IN SWEDEN NEXT SUMMER

For those who don't speak French and prefer the discussion in Shakespeare's language
François
Champion national
Champion national
Club préféré : Real Madrid

Message par François »

MONTREAL, January 28, 2003 – Montreal Impact defender Adam Braz has signed with second-division club Vasteras SK of Sweden for the 2003 summer season. The 21-year-old Montrealer, who played 20 games with the Impact last year, joined the Scandinavian club after participating in the Canadian Olympic team’s training camp.

"I’m very excited about it because playing in Europe is something I’ve always wanted to do," said Braz (photo), who went to Sweden earlier in December for a 10-day try-out. "I’m sad to leave Montreal, especially since I had such a great experience last year but I feel this is a step in the right direction."

Braz expects to go through a period of adaptation with the club, notably to overcome the language barrier. While most players can speak some English, everyone speaks Swedish on the field. However, he feels confident he will adapt quickly to the team’s style of play.

"Their approach is very serious and the club wants to make it back to first division," explained Braz. "And they play a system very similar to the Impact’s, a 4-4-2, with a lot of pressuring."

Braz was a key component of the Montreal back line that allowed only 29 goals in 28 games in 2002, fourth best in the A-League. In his rookie year with the Impact, he started 17 games and played 1,554 minutes.

"Adam was a big part of our success and he brought a lot of depth in the back," said Impact head coach Bob Lilley. "It will be tough to lose him but it’s a great opportunity for him. When other teams overseas start looking at your players, it’s a sign we’re on the right track."

Braz hasn’t ruled out a possible return to Montreal after his stint in Europe.

"One thing’s for sure, if I come back to play in North America, I will play with the Impact," he said.

Another Impact player has been approached by Vasteras: midfielder Patrice Bernier participated in a week-long try-out with the club. No formal agreement has been reached for the time being.

-30-

SOURCE:
bcomm

INFO:
Stéphane Banfi
514-328-3668 (ext. 27)
514-910-4779