One on One with Olivieri

For those who don't speak French and prefer the discussion in Shakespeare's language
Bxl Boy
Champion du monde
Champion du monde
Club préféré : RWD Molenbeek (47)
Place dans le stade : Tribune de presse

One on One with Olivieri

Message par Bxl Boy »

On the new Voyageurs website

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/en/viewarticle.asp?id=20

One on One with Olivieri

Interview conducted by Ryan Keay & Jaroslaw Popowicz

May 2, 2004 @ 00:43:30

Andrew Olivieri is a talented young Canadian goalkeeper that took part in this years Olympic qualifications in Mexico. Although Canada did not qualify, Andrew's outstanding play earned him an honorable mention to the Olympic Qualifying CONCACAF All Star Team. We took some time out in March to talk to him about his soccer career and his hopes for the future.

What is your favorite moment in your soccer career?

My whole experience with the Olympic Team was very positive on a personal note. Our unfortunate exit in qualifying was without a doubt very disappointing, however the opportunity to play for your country at any level, let alone the Olympic level, is an entire group of moments that can never be forgotten.

Who are your favorite soccer players/idols?

That’s a question I’m always reluctant to answer. There are so many great athletes within soccer and other sports that deserve to be admired and praised but there isn’t one in particular that I can truly single out as my idol. In terms of a favorite goalkeeper I’d have to go with Gigi Buffon but that may be due to my preference for Juventus F.C.

Who is/are the most influential person/people in your soccer career?

Without a doubt, the most influential person in my life has been my father. He may not have affected the way I play the game of soccer but he has taught me how to work, compete and excel in all endeavors on and off the field. In terms of the game itself, there is no one that has taught me more than Phil Wheddon, my goalkeeper coach at Southern Connecticut State University. Our time together was very brief because after only a year he had moved on to coach the keepers for the MetroStars. Nevertheless, in that short time I not only learned how to play the game but Phil taught me how to be a student of the game. There are lessons he taught me that I’m only starting to understand four, five years later. Today, Phil is the head goalkeeper coach for the U.S. Women’s National Team and I wish him all the best in his career.

How are you enjoying your time with the Montreal Impact? Is the lack of playing time a concern?

It’s always great to be able to play in a comfortable environment and there’s no more comfortable environment than home. This gives me the opportunity to spend more time focusing on the work that needs to be done on the field. Montreal is a quality organization and although the lack of playing time maybe a concern, I’m the only one that can do something about it. I welcome the challenge just as I did when trying to work my way onto the Olympic team.

What do you enjoy most about playing in Montreal?

Just as I said before, it’s the perfect fit. A quality organization and the comfort of home. If I manage to earn some playing time this season, it will be great to do it in front of family and friends.

What are your goals for your professional career? Are there any imminent plans on pursuing a career in Europe?

Playing for Montreal in the A-League isn’t a bad level at all here in North-America. However there’s no denying the attraction of heading overseas. The motivation behind signing a one year deal with the Impact was to give myself the opportunity to pursue other paths at the end of the season. I’m not ruling out a return to Montreal next year, after all, this season hasn’t even started yet. But if the right opportunity comes along I won’t hesitate tempting my luck in Europe or even South America or Asia for that fact.

Which country abroad (ie; Europe) would you like to play in?

If you gave me the choice of where to play I would have to say the Serie A or Premiership. On the more realistic side, I can see myself following the path of my good friend Olivier Occean and playing somewhere in Norway or some other second teer league such as Greece or Belgium.

How would you describe the way you felt after you were called up to back up Greg Sutton in the Canada friendly against Barbados?

It was a great honor to be called up to the first-team. I understand it was a situation of convenience for the CSA to invite me since I was already in Fort Lauderdale with the Olympic Team. Nevertheless, I am very flattered to have been considered and I intend on being called up again someday purely on my own merits and performances.

What are your impressions of Frank Yallop?

Before meeting him I had heard many things from different people. All of which were confirmed when I had the opportunity to train along-side the first-team in Fort Lauderdale. He’s a players coach. All the guys seem to respond very well to him and they all have faith in his ability. I believe he is what the National Team needed and I wish him all the best in his new position.

If you could play for any professional soccer team in the world, which one would it be?

You’ve probably already guessed it ... Juventus!! They haven’t been having a successful season but I’ve always been a big supporter. They may not play the most attractive football but I’d suit up for the Bianconeri before any other club in the world.

How did you feel when you learned that you were an Honorable Mention to the CONCACAF All-Star Team?

It was a bitter sweet experience. Six months earlier I didn’t expect to be involved in the Olympic Qualifying at all. To be honest, heading into the first camp I had told myself that making the team as a back-up would be a big accomplishment. As the rounds went on and I got a taste of what it was like to play for your National Team, I didn’t want anything less than to keep my starting spot. Six months later, receiving the honor was truly gratifying but at the same time it meant the end of my experience with the Olympic Team. It was a great six months and I hope to only build on it.

impactsoccer sur twitter
Vision du Jeu, un autre regard