What are people's thoughts on Major League Soccer?

For those who don't speak French and prefer the discussion in Shakespeare's language
Cashcleaner

What are people's thoughts on Major League Soccer?

Message par Cashcleaner »

Hello all! Firstly, please accept my apologies for using English exclusively. My French is atrocious and I would have made a mockery of the language if I tried to use it here. Also, I posted this originally in the French forum, my bad again. :(

Anyhoo, I'm a season ticket holder with Toronto FC and a member of the Red Patch Boys, one of the official supporters group for the club. There has been a lot of talk lately on our boards about possible future MLS expansion into Canada, with the commissioner of the league mentioning Vancouver as on the short-list for a future club during a recent press conference.

Has there been a show of support for Montreal possibly entering the MLS, perhaps with the existing Impact organization? Would the fans support a move to the MLS or are you more content staying in USL-1?

Personally, I think a Toronto-Montreal would be a fantastic rivalry and I doubt you'd have any trouble attracting people to the matches. It seems like a natural progression to me for a town that has shown much interest in soccer, but I just wanted to get some opinions from the fans themselves.

Daniel
Champion continental
Champion continental
Place dans le stade : Kop [132]

Message par Daniel »

I think that fans and supporters would want the highest level attainable for the Impact, while keeping a focus on local player development and a club model.

vieux_fan_81-83
Poupon
Poupon

Message par vieux_fan_81-83 »

Indeed, it would be nice to see Montreal in MLS, but then again...

I'm sure MLS management doesn't want a huge expansion into non-traditional markets like the old NASL had 25 years ago, with teams losing money, big time and closing up shop afterwards. The Manic had the highest attendance % the first 2 years they played, but before year 3 when announced that after 1983 Montreal would become Team Canada, the fans stayed away, only getting an average of under 10,000 per game.

Right now you guys in T.O. have a decent team, that is still developping. But what's going to happen when the novelty wears off? And when Becks heads back to the old continent?

MLS did things right the first 11 years, would be nice for them to keep a steady ship longer, and slowly admit teams in traditional soccer markets. Montreal, Vancouver, Rochester, Seattle and Portland would be due, before non-traditional markets, where money rules first and foremost.

Pour les fanas de football de table (pas de babyfoot):

http://www.geocities.com/subbuteoquebec/

L'Impact est disponible...
3kuyt
Joueur de réserve
Joueur de réserve

Message par 3kuyt »

My view is that the MLS and USL should merge and adopt a similar system to England. There would obviously be a prootion and relegation system between the three leagues, but the MLS could manage the division 1 football and the USL could manage the division 2 and 3...quite similar to the relationship between the Football association and Football League in England.

This would allow the stronger teams from the USL to play against MLS teams, without abandoning the USL and the rivalries built over the years.

As for the Toronto FC, Im glad to see that the team is having success, but Im slightly annoyed by the club's marketing of the team as Canada's team. That being said the stage is set for a rivalry with Montreal, considering were proudly wearing the fleur de lys and a white and blue kit.

A final note on the MLS..I believe the league must be carefull in their progression..especially in regards to attracting players. I'de rather have several average European players then one superstar. It could prove itself to be a dangerous venture if the teams start spending enourmous sums of money to attract players like Beckham.

“If the TFC were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.”
Daniel
Champion continental
Champion continental

Message par Daniel »

The people on BigSoccer would love you.

Cashcleaner

I simply do not see the USL and MLS merging in the foreseeable future and putting a system of promotion and relegation in place for clubs. The economic dynamics are just not conducive here in North America for countless reasons. Rather, I could see the USL acting like farm teams to MLS, perhaps in the same manner as the AHL and NHL.

All said, the optimistic view from here in Toronto is that Montreal and Vancouver will eventually get their top-tier clubs, by either having the Impact and Whitecap organisations make a move up or having an entirely new entity put in place to start a club from scratch.

Sabre
Titulaire indiscutable
Titulaire indiscutable
Club préféré : IMFC
Place dans le stade : 132

Message par Sabre »

Cashcleaner a écrit :Rather, I could see the USL acting like farm teams to MLS, perhaps in the same manner as the AHL and NHL.
:roll:

This is soccer.

"I can't say much, but one day I will. One day I will." - Marc Dos Santos speaking to travelling UM02 members in Baltimore about his position with the front office.
Napule
Champion continental
Champion continental
Votre vrai nom : Francesco
Club préféré : FC MONTRÉAL
Mon “autre” club favori : SSC NAPOLI

Message par Napule »

even though MLS is better than USL, i still believe its a bit crappy. The MLS gives more credibility thats all, abigger step towards worldclass professionalism.

Cashcleaner

Sabre a écrit :
:roll:

This is soccer.
Don't be so sure that it couldn't happen. I'm not saying it's something I'd like to see, but a formal partnership like what I had mentioned isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

Sabre
Titulaire indiscutable
Titulaire indiscutable
Club préféré : IMFC
Place dans le stade : 132

Message par Sabre »

The USL will become the AHL when Rochester gets MLS(never, btw).

:wink:

"I can't say much, but one day I will. One day I will." - Marc Dos Santos speaking to travelling UM02 members in Baltimore about his position with the front office.
3kuyt
Joueur de réserve
Joueur de réserve

Message par 3kuyt »

Instead of a merger, maybe the MLS can simply buyout the USL, which would give direct control of division 2 and divison 3 soccer in America to the USSF.

Cashcleaner

Sabre a écrit :The USL will become the AHL when Rochester gets MLS(never, btw).

Actually, I have never gotten the argument that Rochester could maintain an MLS club. I guess they get good crowds for the Rhinos, but how many players would want to make a move to northern New York State? Columbus and Kansas City have a hard enough time as it is attracting players to their cities, what do you think Rochester's chances are?

3kuyt
Joueur de réserve
Joueur de réserve

Message par 3kuyt »

Cashcleaner a écrit :
Sabre a écrit :The USL will become the AHL when Rochester gets MLS(never, btw).

Actually, I have never gotten the argument that Rochester could maintain an MLS club. I guess they get good crowds for the Rhinos, but how many players would want to make a move to northern New York State? Columbus and Kansas City have a hard enough time as it is attracting players to their cities, what do you think Rochester's chances are?
Rochester can be to the MLS, what Middlesborough are to the EPL...A SHIT HOLE.

I don't see Rochester maintaining a divison 1 football club, but as much as I hate them, I think division 2 football needs smaller markets like Rochester.

xdukex
Champion continental
Champion continental
Club préféré : Montréal
Mon “autre” club favori : Liverpool

Message par xdukex »

Cashcleaner a écrit :
Sabre a écrit :Columbus and Kansas City have a hard enough time as it is attracting players to their cities, what do you think Rochester's chances are?
At least in Rochester you're still "close" to Buffalo, New York and Boston..

KC is in the middle of fucking nowhere.

Cashcleaner

xdukex a écrit :
Cashcleaner a écrit :
Sabre a écrit :Columbus and Kansas City have a hard enough time as it is attracting players to their cities, what do you think Rochester's chances are?

Have you seen the stadium KC is playing in for the 2008 season? It's a junior league baseball park!

Honestly, the place looks so bush-league, it's a joke.

vieux_fan_81-83
Poupon
Poupon

Message par vieux_fan_81-83 »

xdukex a écrit :
Cashcleaner a écrit :

Is fucking nowhere St. Louis? The US's soccer hotbed? They're talking about expansion down there, as well as Philadelphia...

St. Louis is across Missouri, right next to the Mississippi. Much closer to Chicago (or Lemont, where the Fire reserves play their home games) and Columbus (no, Rick Nash doesn't score goals for the Crew)!

If MLS either wants STL of PHI instead of MTL or VAN, that means we'll always have the USL and be kingpins of the AHL of soccer leagues!

Soccer doesn't need an AHL, but a good system like european leagues with promotion and relegation battles. and betting scandals... MLS teams caught fixing games go down to USL division 2!!! Boy would I love to see this someday...

Pour les fanas de football de table (pas de babyfoot):

http://www.geocities.com/subbuteoquebec/

L'Impact est disponible...
Daniel
Champion continental
Champion continental

Message par Daniel »

vieux_fan_81-83 a écrit :
xdukex a écrit :
Cashcleaner a écrit : At least in Rochester you're still "close" to Buffalo, New York and Boston..

Is fucking nowhere St. Louis? The US's soccer hotbed? They're talking about expansion down there, as well as Philadelphia...

St. Louis is across Missouri, right next to the Mississippi. Much closer to Chicago (or Lemont, where the Fire reserves play their home games) and Columbus (no, Rick Nash doesn't score goals for the Crew)!

If MLS either wants STL of PHI instead of MTL or VAN, that means we'll always have the USL and be kingpins of the AHL of soccer leagues!

Soccer doesn't need an AHL, but a good system like european leagues with promotion and relegation battles. and betting scandals... MLS teams caught fixing games go down to USL division 2!!! Boy would I love to see this someday...
St-Louis has been a traditional hotbed of soccer in the minds of people there. People respect the sport more than elsewhere in the States, apparently.

It is also recognized for being a pretty good sports town.

Répondre Sujet précédentSujet suivant