"Salty Dogs"

Discussion concernant tout ce qui touche de près ou de loin le porte-drapeau du soccer québécois ainsi que la Major League Soccer
Daniel
Champion continental
Champion continental
Place dans le stade : Kop [132]

"Salty Dogs"

Message par Daniel »

Les Slutty bitches?

Salty Dogs for the Salt Cityby by Tom Wanamaker, Syracuse F.C. Match Reporter

http://a-league.com/features/2003/fea,2003,0004.shtml

03.Mar.2003

The future of soccer in Syracuse took on a decidedly canine flavor on March 1 as officials of the Syracuse Football Club announced that the A-league's newest entry will be called the "Salty Dogs."

At a gala kick-off event at the Onondaga County Convention Center, Syracuse FC unveiled its nickname and mascot, a swashbuckling, bandana-wearing dog, to several hundred enthusiastic fans. Caught up in the spirit of the event, many attendees let loose with a chorus of dog barks, a sound that will no doubt become the team's rallying cry. The team's colors will be red and black; the jerseys will feature a European-style logo with a pair of fighting dogs.

"Syracuse Football Club wants to be a community asset," said Tim Kuhl, president of the team. "We want to affect the quality of life in Central New York." Toward that end, the club plans to host a number of soccer clinics in the Syracuse area and will donate a portion of season ticket sales to local youth soccer leagues. Affordable family ticket packages are available.

In a speech to the crowd, head coach Laurence "Laurie" Calloway pointed out that he's been a part of three other start-up soccer teams and none of their kick-off events attracted such an enthusiastic response as did the March 1 event.

"Unbelievable," Calloway said, describing the turnout. "It makes me extremely excited to be in this city, to be part of the start up of the Syracuse Football Club."

Signing such a high-caliber coach as Calloway is certainly a coup for the club. His long soccer career includes playing in the English Premier League and the NASL, and coaching in MLS, among many other stops. Last season, Calloway coached the Des Moines Menace to a 15-0-3 record in the Premier Development League.

Calloway told the crowd that he's pursuing other players from both MLS and overseas. He also plans to sign one or two local players for developmental purposes. Calloway was encouraged by the quality of the players, several of which he has signed or will sign, at the team's recent combine in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

"We will continue to look for the best players," Calloway said, stressing that the team will play what he called an "American style of soccer."

"I'm a coach that coaches to win and not to not lose. I go on the field to win and play an entertaining brand of soccer," the Birmingham, England native concluded.

Syracuse native Tommy Tanner will play for the Dogs and serve as Calloway's assistant coach.

"I've been in Rochester for the last seven years, playing for the Rochester Rhinos," Tanner told the crowd. "But I'm a Syracuse person through and through. I'm looking forward to bringing an A-League championship to Syracuse and beating the Rochester Rhinos."

The Salty Dogs' name takes into account the city's history as a major producer of salt. Jackie Darquea, of nearby Auburn, was rewarded with lifetime season tickets to the Dogs' home matches for suggesting the name. The Salty Dogs begin play in early May with road games in Charlotte and Toronto before making their home debut on May 17 against Toronto at P&C Stadium on the city's north side.

The team will host post-game concerts by KC and the Sunshine Band (May 17), Modern English and Flock of Seagulls (June 23), Marshall Tucker Band (July 4) and Eddie Money (Aug. 9). Home matches will also feature pre-game tailgate parties, a Ford truck give-away and a "family fun zone" with games for kids.

In an effort to expand their fan base, the Salty Dogs will also play four home games at nearby locations to be determined, probably in Utica and Binghamton. The team also hopes to schedule an exhibition match with an MLS club.

Kuhl thanked officials of the Rochester Rhinos, with whom an in-state rivalry will certainly develop, for their help and support in getting the Syracuse team off the ground. He also thanked county officials for their support in securing the club's home field at the county-owned stadium.

Representatives from the National Soccer Hall of Fame were on hand, and displayed the women's World Cup trophy. Hall-of-Famer George Brown, noting that the A-league's history can be traced back to 1922, told the crowd, "You guys are part of history. I congratulate you and I congratulate the team.