CSA lack of plan... No!

For those who don't speak French and prefer the discussion in Shakespeare's language
Vicenç
Titulaire indiscutable
Titulaire indiscutable

CSA lack of plan... No!

Message par Vicenç »

I took this from the Voyageurs:
I really like the answer of m. Pipe... like : "
Pipe said Canada spends $12-million a year on its 17 national men's and women's programs. He said that international dates and player availability, not money, are the real reasons behind the small number of games the men's national team plays.

:P :lol:
This guy deserve a lot of credit...

From The Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ports/home

Former head coach decries lack of CSA plan

PETER MALLET

Globe and Mail Update

A lack of focus by the Canadian Soccer Association on the men's national team led to his resignation as the head coach, Frank Yallop says.

“I needed to have a vision with the national team,” Yallop said in a telephone interview this week. “I felt that I was living day to day with the team and we never had a long-term plan for the country.”

Yallop announced his resignation on June 7, but he spoke this week in the wake of national technical director Richard Bate's announcement that he, too, was leaving the CSA.

Bate was hired in October of 2005, but announced last week he was leaving to take up a similar position with Watford, the recently promoted London club in the English Premier League.

“We have some great people at the CSA who are devoted and dedicated to their jobs and my purpose here is not to dump on any of them,” Yallop said. “Our program [senior men's team] was not the No. 1 program in the grand scheme of things. I would guess for the teams that made the 2006 World Cup, developing their senior [national] team was their main focus.”

Yallop also cited the limited number of international exhibition matches and training camps as a big reason for his departure.

This year, Canada's national team will play four exhibition matches; last year, it played eight.

Yallop said Canada needs at least 20 games a year to prepare itself to try for qualification for the World Cup in South Africa in 2010.

“The next coach is going to need a plan and he is going to need to say, ‘These are the games I need and the players I want,' ” Yallop said. “He is going to have to tell the CSA point-blank that he needs five games just to get the team functioning as a unit and a minimum of 20 games per year. That is what everyone else who we compete against in CONCACAF [Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Associations of Football] gets.”

Kevin Pipe, the CSA's chief operating officer, said that Yallop's call for 20 games a year isn't possible, given the limited number of dates available on the international soccer calendar — days when professional clubs are mandated to release players for international duty.

“I am surprised Frank would say 20 games per year,” Pipe said. “There is no way to play that number of games, due to the FIFA international calendar. What is realistic? Ten or 12 games is a realistic target.”

Pipe said Canada spends $12-million a year on its 17 national men's and women's programs. He said that international dates and player availability, not money, are the real reasons behind the small number of games the men's national team plays.

Yallop had started to rebuild Canada's struggling senior men's team since taking over for Holger Osieck in January of 2004. He guided Canada to a respectable record of 8-9-3.

Before taking the job of Canadian coach, Yallop led the San Jose Earthquakes of Major League Soccer to two league championships and was voted as the coach of the year in 2001.

Even though Canada didn't qualify for a fifth consecutive World Cup, there was a sense among players and fans that things were starting to improve after the team defeated Austria 2-0 in March and tied the United States 0-0 in February.

Canada rebounded from its lowest world ranking in history, 91st in March of 2004, to its current level, 54th, when new criteria for ranking national teams was put into play this month.

Yallop has since taken over the coaching reins of the Los Angeles Galaxy of MLS from former U.S. World Cup coach Steve Sampson after the team had stumbled out of the gate with a 3-10-2 record.

Since his arrival in Los Angeles, the Galaxy are on a four-game undefeated streak, after a 0-0 draw with Chivas USA last Saturday.

Pipe said that interim Canadian team coach Stephen Hart will receive some assistance from under-20 team coach Dale Mitchell for Canada's home-and-home series with Jamaica: in Montreal on Sept. 4 and in Kingston on Oct. 8.

He indicated a permanent replacement for Yallop likely won't be announced by the CSA executive committee until next year. He also said the hiring of a national technical director won't take place until December.

For now, Pipe said, the focus of the governing body should be preparing the under-20 national team for the under-20 World Cup next year — Canada is the host — and readying the women's team for the Gold Cup in November, a qualifier for the Women's World Cup in China next year.